Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Knight Initiative ('99)

This letter of mine was published in the Los Angeles Times Nov. 1999:

Pete Knight says he is not telling anyone how to live. I disagree. I am in a long-term (six years) relationship with another man. If Proposition 22 passes, I cannot even dream of getting married.

My partner is a Mexican citizen, living in Mexico, without significant savings in the bank, and certainly without a wife and children. Because of this, due to our xenophobic laws, he cannot even get a tourist visa to visit me in L.A., much less live with me. So we cannot even be domestic partners.

I do not understand Pete Knight's claim that my marriage would somehow harm his.

- - - - - -

The Times chose not to print my next-to-last sentence:

Because of attitudes like Pete Knight's, I sleep alone 50 weeks of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment