Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Peru — March 2018

Me with a tailless whip scorpion

Macaws at a clay lick

Link to more photos.

Given our love of wildlife and knowing that Victor would feel very comfortable in another Spanish-speaking country, I signed up for this Atlas Obscura tour along the Tambopata River in southeastern Peru.

Initially, I intended to add a visit to Machu Picchu either before or after, but that was more complicated than expected, and other things intervened, and ultimately, I didn't do it. We did have a few spare hours in Lima, but we didn't do much additional sight-seeing there, either. I had hoped to see the Circuito Magico del Agua, but Victor was too tired.

The trip went well. I was very pleased that we had little rain, mostly overnight. Given the mud, I was glad we were provided with rubber boots! The macaws were beautiful. I was disappointed by how few animals we saw in the jungle. Plenty of birds and spiders and butterflies and other insects, but few other animals. The river travel quickly got monotonous; the scenery varied little. Perhaps I should have sought out another tour, maybe including other areas of the country and Machu Picchu.

No comments:

Post a Comment